Sunday 20 December 2015

Its Sushi my dear Watson.....Sushi

Hi guys!!!


Okay, so from the title you can guess what I'm making for lunch today. Isn't it hilarious though....an Igbo, Nigerian girl making sushi. Yeah, I thought so too. My love for food has surpassed even my own comprehension. In the words of my favourite villain "think global, not local". 

So, can you imagine what made me venture into these uncharted waters?....Go on, take a guess. It wasn't from reading the menu in a Japanese restaurant, or watching an episode of Naruto. No, my inspiration came from a pair of chopsticks. And not the ones in a restaurant, but the ones I was using for my bun. 

Now, Ive never used chopsticks to eat before, I've only ever used them as a hair accessory, but I really wanted to learn. So I thought to myself what better way to learn, than to make my very own sushi rolls and practise with it. I don't have to pay for it outside, I'll just buy the ingredients, and most importantly, I don't have to worry about embarrassing myself in public. The only thing I have to worry about really, would be the look on the check-out girls face as she scans my 'groceries'. 

Of course to learn how to use my chopsticks and to make the sushi, I had to consult the oracle 'Youtube'.  After watching a few videos, and seeing the numerous steps, I said to myself " Self, you're in way over your head". But, I learnt a lot and couldn't wait to try my hands on it. 

So heres how I did it....




Ingredients 
For the Crispy prawns
  • 53.3g Tempura batter 
  • 75mls of cold sparkling water
  • A pinch of salt
  • 12 King prawns
  • 2 cups of frying oil
For the sushi rice seasoning
  • 5 tablespoons of rice vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons of sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of salt
For the dipping sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of Siracha sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of sweet chill sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of regular mayonnaise
Everything else
  • Half an english cucumber
  • Half an avocado
  • The juice of half a lemon
  • Wasabi paste
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 cup of sushi rice (sticky short grain rice)
  • Black sesame seeds (optional)
  • A bamboo mat
  • 2-3 sheets of Nori (Paper-thin Roasted seaweed)
  • Cling film
  • Wooden spoon or spatula
Instructions
  1. First make the crispy prawns. Heat your oil in a deep-fryer of deep pot. Combine the tempura batter and salt with the cold sparkling water, and mix until you have a pancake batter consistency.  Coat the king prawns in the batter and place into the hot oil. Allow it to crisp up in the oil for about 2 mins, take it out and drain on a paper towel. 
  2. Next, make the dipping sauce. Combine the siracha, sweet chilli and mayonnaise and transfer to your sauce plate or container.
  3. To make the sushi rice and seasoning. Transfer the rice into a bowl and wash it till the water becomes somewhat clear. Place the rice and water in a rice cooker or pot, and allow to cook until tender. In a cup, combine the rice vinegar, salt and sugar, and set aside. Once the rice is done, remove from the heat, and drizzle in the rice vinegar seasoning. Using slicing motions (not stirring) and a wooden spoon or spatula, combine both, taste and leave to cool.
  4. Chop your other accompaniments i.e the cucumber and avocado into thin strips and set aside.
  5. Now to make the sushi rolls. Place half a sheet of nori on the bamboo rolling mat, shinny side down. Slightly wet your fingers and take about a handful of the rice and spread it over the nori. Make sure to leave about half an inch of nori space without rice for folding. 
  6. Put a small amount of wasabi paste on your index finger and spread along the middle of the rice on the nori sheet. Place your crispy prawns, cucumber and avocado in the middle along the strip of wasabi paste.
  7. Take the bamboo rolling mat with your thumbs like you're about to roll it, and use the remaining eight fingers to hold the  contents in place. Now fold/roll the mat, making sure to press gently as you roll.
  8. Once your roll is fully formed, cut it in half. Place both halves side by side and cut into quarters or sixes.
  9. Place them on your platter, and drizzle the dipping sauce across them. You can play with the sauce by making nice and creative designs on your rolls. Now its ready to eat.
So, there you have it.... my take on the classic sushi roll. It was really delicious and refreshing, definitely going to make it again. And oh yeah...of course I used my chopsticks.

Tips
  1. Don't forget to squeeze some lemon juice on your avocado after slicing them, to prevent them from turning brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment