Sunday 20 December 2015

Roast beef with potatoes

Hi Guys!!!

Hope you're all loving the festive season?...I know I am.

So, three days ago I walked past a butchers shop at the Moor market, and saw they were having a christmas sale on some selected meat products. I'm talking £4.99 for a joint and a whole chicken.
 I had already invited a friend over for sunday lunch and just told myself; a day before she comes, I'll go get something simple. So you can imagine, seeing this deal was very tempting, and after walking back and forth at the entrance, I decided to walk in. I got a 0.36kg beef joint and some sausages. I thought I'd make a juicy roast beef and probably serve it with some roasted baby potatoes and veggies. 
It sure sounds like a lot of work, but trust me... it was really easy.

 So here's what I did....

Ingredients
  • 0.36kg beef joint with basting fat
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 1-2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon of thyme+rosemary
  • 1 table spoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 8-10 baby potatoes
  • An onion bulb (ring slices)
  • 1-2 strip(s) of bacon (optional)
Instructions
  1. Bring out the beef from the fridge, remove the basting fat and allow it to get to room temperature. This should take about 30-45 minutes.
  2. Pre-heat your oven to about 200 degrees celsius. 
  3. In a bowl, combine the paprika, salt, thyme+rosemary, cayenne pepper, black pepper, 2 spoons of olive oil and honey to form a paste. Rub this around the meat and massage thoroughly.  
  4. Place the strip(s) of bacon around the meat and tie it tightly with butchers twine.
  5. Drizzle the remaining olive oil in the roasting tray and place the onion rings at the base. Wash the baby potatoes, salt them and arrange it on the tray. Place a nob of the basting fat on each potato, then transfer the beef.
  6. Place it in the oven, and allow to roast for 35mins (medium rare).
  7. Once its done, transfer the beef onto a plate, cover with some aluminium foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. 
  8. Remove the butchers twine, slice and serve.
It was deliciously pink and juicy. 

Tips
  • Now of course it all depends on how pink you like your beef. You can increase the time if you want it well-done. 
  • Always allow your beef to rest for some time before you cut into it or else all the juices would run out, and you'll be left with a dry hunk of meat.
  • By placing a nob of the fat on the potatoes, they come out crispy and delicious. 


No comments:

Post a Comment