- 130g dark chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120g of butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/3 cup of flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 Ramekins (or muffin moulds/ moi-moi cups)
- A knob of butter
- 2 bowls
- An oven pan
- A whisk
- 1 Tbsp of cocoa powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Crack two eggs into a bowl, add the icing sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Mix well until the sugar dissolves.
Adding the sugar to the eggs
Eggs, sugar and vanilla incorporated
- Melt the chocolate and butter together, either in a microwave for 20 seconds or over a pot of boiling water and set aside.
- Transfer the melted chocolate into the egg mixture, and mix well to combine. It should be light and smooth like a ganache.
Adding the chocolate ingot he egg mixture
Chocolate incorporated into the egg mixture
- Now add the flour into the mixture, and gently mix it into the chocolate mixture.
About to add the flour
- The take your ramekins and grease them with the knob of butter. Then take the cocoa powder and put into the buttered moulds. Run it around until it has coated both ramekins, then set aside.
About to butter the ramekins
A teaspoon of cocoa powder into the ramekin
Coating the buttered ramekins with cocoa powder
Cocoa powder coated ramekins
- Carefully transfer your mixture into the ramekins, with a spoon till it is about 2/3rd of the way ensuring that it doesn't spill. For variety you can place a white chocolate bar into the mixture.
The mixture in the ramekins
A white chocolate bar added to the mixture
- Place the ramekins in an oven pan, and place in the preheated oven for 8-10 mins.
- Once they are done, remove from the oven and allow to rest for about 2 minutes.
Fresh out of the oven
- Carefully turn them over on a plate.
Carefully turning it over
Out of the ramekin
- Serve with your favourite ice-cream. Break open the cake and see the larva flow....Enjoy!
- The mixture can be placed in the ramekin and left there until your guest arrives. So you can put it in the oven when you're about ready to serve.