Saturday 13 February 2016

Sweet potato flat bread (Roti) - An accompaniment to the spicy chicken wings

Hi Guys!!

Two years ago, I had to go to India for an embryology course, and one of my favourite memories of that trip to was the room service (believe it or not). The room service guys pretty much knew me by name at the end of my stay. I pretty much ordered the same thing over and over again, just cos I loved it. 'Chicken lollipops' and 'buttered naan', was my favourite meal. I've made naan bread before, and I really liked it, but I kinda wanted a twist to it.

So, I decided to make some flat bread also called 'Roti', but this time around I made it with sweet potatoes. Its so warm, chewy, not heavy and very versatile. I enjoyed eating it straight from the pan, but I also used it as a wrap for my spicy chicken wings. Its such a simple recipe with just two (2) ingredients.


So heres how I made it.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1 cup of sweet potato
  • A pinch of salt (optional)
Other things you'll need include;
  • A rolling pin
  • 1 extra cup of flour 
  • A frying pan (crepe pans are better)
  • A clean work surface
  • A tea towel in a bowl to keep the roti warm and soft
Instructions
  1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, and some salt, and then add the sweet potato tubers. You don't have to remove the skin, as it would peel off easily when tender.
    Sweet potatoes being boiled
     
  2. When the potato is fork tender, remove it from the boiling water and peal off the skin.
    Peeled sweet potato
  3. Mash the potatoes and allow to cool, for some minute (cos we are going to handle it while its still hot).
    Mashed sweet potato
  4. Put the potato in a bowl and add the flour. Mix well, until well combined.

    Flour and sweet potato being mixed (early stages)
  5. Sprinkle some flour on the work surface, and kneed the dough until the flour is well incorporated. Then form into a log.
    The log-snapped dough
  6.  Cut out 5- 6 pieces from the log. Roll each piece into a ball.
    Slicing the log into 5 pieces

    Forming them into balls
  7. Sprinkle some flour unto your palms and then flatten the balls. Then transfer them into a floured bowl.
    Flattening the balls with my palms

    Flattened balls, stored in a bowl
  8. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough balls until they are pretty much the size of a crepe (2mm thick).
    About to roll the balls

    Flattened dough in stacks
  9. Place the frying pan on the heat and transfer the crepe-like dough onto the pan. It should puff up slightly if there are no holes in the dough (unlike mine that had many...lol).
  10. When the roti is browned enough, remove from the pan and place in a bowl lined with a tea towel and cover to keep warm. Repeat the steps until you've exhausted all the dough.
  11. Serve while its warm, Enjoy!

Tips
  1. Try not to over work the dough, as it would become sticky and you'll need to add more flour. This makes for a very chewy roti, which isn't too good.
  2. Ensure your palms are well floured before rolling the balls, as it would be quite sticky.
  3. Theres no need to oil the pan, but if you want to you can.


No comments:

Post a Comment